Come Celebrate Earth Day 2013 and Discover Many New Programs!
By Betsy Washington, Environmental Committee Chairman
Bring the whole family to celebrate Earth Day in Lake Barcroft. In addition to our ever popular Eco-barge tours and live Raptor program, we have a number of new and exciting events lined up this year. Enjoy live bluegrass music, great food, and learn loads of tips and activities for all ages to celebrate our Lake and Earth Day. Here is the Schedule.
- Raptor Program: Don't miss Kent Knowles, Director of the Raptor Conservancy of VA and his live Raptor Program! He will be bringing screech, barred and barn owls, hawks, and even a peregrine falcon up close and personal. You definitely don't want to miss this. 3:00 - 3:55
- Beaver and Wildlife Solutions: John Griffin and Stephanie Boyles Griffin, wildlife biologists with the U.S. Humane Society will introduce the new program on Wildlife Services Program, "Living with Wildlife, Conflict Resolution and Solutions" designed especially for Lake Barcroft residents. Join a workshop and demonstration. 2:00 - 5:00
- Fish of Lake Barcroft: Come learn about and see the many fish that call Lake Barcroft home up close and personal. 2:00 - 5:00
- Pollinator Table - Learn all about our native pollinators, see pollinator art, and sign up for a beautiful new Pollinator license plate. 2:00 - 5:00
- City Wildlife Anne Lewis of City Wildlife and Lights out D.C. will demonstrate ecosavvy ways to protect birds and raptors attracted to city lights and tall buildings and your windows. 2:00 - 5:00
- Children's Nature Program - join an exciting hands on workshop with Green Spring's Children's Educator and Naturalist, Mary McLean. 2:00 - 5:00
- Eco-Barge Tours - Join Kevin Howe and George McLennan for a delightful tour of the lake and see and learn about our fabulous wildlife. 2:00 - 3:00 and 4:00 - 5:00.
- Note: Depending on demand, we may run additional Eco-barge tours of the lake from 5:00 - 6:00 or beforehand. We want to get everyone out on the lake to enjoy Earth Day!
Art and Photography:
- Lake Barcroft Photography Show - Professional photographer Larry Golfer is organizing an incredible show featuring scenic photographs of Lake Barcroft and our extraordinary wildlife. See historic photos of Hurricane Agnes and shop for prints, notecards, and more. Larry will share experts tips and advice on photography.
- The Washington Post's 'Urban Jungle' columnist and artist, Patterson Clark demonstrates how to make beautiful art prints with noxious invasive plants from 2:00 - 3:00 only. Don't miss this fabulous opportunity. 2:00 - 3:00 only
- The Ultimate Art: Recycling Nature's Bounty - Come watch Bob the Woodturner demonstrate the fine art of woodworking by recycling fallen trees into incredible works of art. He will be making beautiful children's spinning tops.
- Lake Barcroft and visiting Artists display Lake Barcroft, nature, and pollinator art. Some original art will be raffled off to lucky winners! 2:00 - 5:00
- Children's Art workshop: - Artist and Teacher, Mert Cook will return to lead a hands on workshop for our young artists. Make a work of art or create a beautiful flowering garden from recycled materials in this creative hands-on workshop. 2:00 - 5:00
Plants, Plant Sale, and Landscaping:
- Shop for stunning native plants at the Hillhouse Nursery Plant Sale. Owner Janet Davis will help you select the perfect plants for your garden. 2:00 - 5:00
- Betsy Washington and fellow landscape designers will be on hand at the RPA garden to help you with design tips to turn your garden into a beautiful oasis for humans and wildlife. 2:00 - 5:00
- Learn to identify and safely remove noxious invasive plants. Join Kay Cooper and Fred Abbey in an invasive plant workshop and demonstration. 2:00 - 5:00
- Virginia Native Plant Society will have loads of information on great programs, field trips, landscaping with native plants, and pollinator information. 2:00 - 5:00
- Audubon at Home and Master Naturalists will show you how to enhance and attract wildlife to your own garden and create your own urban sanctuary. 2:00 - 3:00
Earth Science, Climate Change, and Our Watershed
- Join Alan Ladwig of NASA for loads of information and hand outs on climate change and our changing earth. 2:00 - 5:00
- Join Davis Grant and Watershed specialist Stephanie Perez at the WID tent and learn about our watershed and all that WID does for the lake. 2:00 - 5:00
- Don't miss Jeff Moeller of Watershed Environment Research Foundation with a new watershed program for families and children. 2:00 - 5:00
Food and Entertainment & More Enjoy dinner with grilled hotdogs, hamburgers and drinks prepared and sold by the J.E.B. Stuart High School Crew Team.
- Enjoy live Zydeco/Cajun music with The Wild Anacostias
- Raffle Drawing for fabulous works of art by Lake Barcroft own artists, plants for your garden, a rain barrel, and other one of a kind eco-friendly art and prizes begins at 4:30 Don't miss the fabulous assortment of one of a kind works of art and eco-friendly prizes, all while supporting the Environmental Committees programs!