MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

November 9, 2011

The meeting of the Board of Directors of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:31 PM by President Warren Russell at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Warren Russell, Cindy Waters, Jim Kilbourne, Diane Smalley, Sally Determan, Betsy Washington, Regina Derzon, Eva Kosztarab, Pat Payne, Mark Cavich, Steve Klein, Alice Rowan and Kim Smith. Lake resident Marty Mandelberg was also present.

The minutes of October 12, 2011 were approved as presented.

OLD BUSINESS:

CALENDAR: The calendar was reviewed and additions were made.

ACTION ITEMS: Cindy reported that she is still working on the "Board Book." Its production is a continuing process.
Steve addressed the online bill payment process. Steve asked if the board wants to subsidize the PayPal fees. Discussion took place regarding whether to offer PayPal to residents. Kim requested website requirements in writing from the company performing the work prior to payments being distributed for web design as she felt the site was still incomplete. Mark expressed that we were provided requirements and documentation outlining our timeline and deliverables. Mark also expressed that the process was moving in the right direction and that we hit a snag in regard to PayPal.
Jim discussed drafting a no-merit letter with Sally. They felt that it was no longer needed and could be removed from the action item list.
Eva will draft a letter concerning encroachment.

CIVIC AFFAIRS MEETING: Warren gave a brief update. More candidates attended than anticipated.

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Cindy reported that the nominating committee consisting of Diane Smalley, Jennifer Talati, Lisa Levine and herself have completed the slate of candidates to run for the LBA Board. The candidates are Diane Davidson, Anne Cullather, Marty Mandelberg, Shane Oleson, Rick Aldrich, Frank Phillippi and Liz Rawlings along with the incumbents Betsy Washington, Jim Kilbourne and Pat Payne. Therefore, ten candidates are running for seven open board positions.

PROPOSED BYLAWS CHANGES: Eva addressed the proposed changes. She has not yet heard back from outside counsel concerning a proposal to add language concerning nondiscrimination. Sally expressed that the by-laws may not be the appropriate place to include such language. Jim asked whether the proposed language would be broader than what the law requires. Next month Sally will circulate a proposed resolution concerning a nondiscrimination policy for the board's consideration.

A motion was made by Cindy and seconded by Pat to approve the changes to the bylaws as set forth in the Legal Committee's report and present the bylaws to the membership for a vote at the February meeting. All voted in favor and the motion passed.

NEW BUSINESS:

BUDGET 2012: Steve discussed the proposed budget. Lifeguard bonuses will be a special items next year, and Kevin Hardy will decide whether budgeted-for bonuses should be presented. A budget items for welcome baskets was put back in the budget.

The Board voted to retire into executive session to discuss personnel matters. The Board resumed public session at 10:10 p.m.

ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW: Jim reported that the ARC considered three applications. One application for a six-foot fence was denied; the other two applications were approved. The board discussed an application for construction of a low metal-mesh fence along a sea wall to deter unusually persistent beaver activity. The ARC will require plantings to mask the fence. Cindy mentioned that such a fence is not unprecedented.

TREASURER: Steve and the accountant have worked to complete the LBA 2010 tax return, and it is in the mail.

WATER SAFETY: Sally has prepared Kevin's contract and has given it to Chris for revisions. Kevin's $5,000 bonus is contingent upon his signing a contract for next year, which he is willing to do.

LEGAL: Eva is working on developing a standard encroachment letter which will be used for several such matters in the community. She also plans to update the HOA Resale Disclosure Package format. Jeannie Meyer reported on the Halloween Parade stating that in addition to the required police permit, next year a VDOT land use permit will also be required and insurance coverage for the benefit of VDOT. Eva will look into this issue further.

** ACTION ITEM ** Eva will draft an encroachment letter and will research the permits required for community parades.

PUBLICATION: Mark reported that he is working with the printer on a better turn around time on the newsletter. Rates will stay the same for costs. The contractor list has been received from Bob Gonzalez and Mark is working with him on how to update it.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Betsy discussed the issue of beavers. LBA policy is to treat beavers humanely. Betsy will approach George Mason University for additional ideas in handling beavers. Betsy has agreed to take on the task of Tree Replacement for Common Areas. She worked with Steve Klein to find ways to fund tree and plant replacement for the Invasive Plant Program. A resident has expressed concerns about invasive plants. Fairfax County's policy is that cut plants must be replaced. However, only in an RPA zone is replanting to replace invasive plants required. Betsy also reported that the Watershed Festival was a great success. She thanked everyone for their help.

SECURITY: Kim indicated things are currently quiet. She noted that Beach 3 gate has been open for over a week. She expressed concern that lock combinations are provided to residents, who then do not take responsibility to properly secure the gates. Warren recalled the Board's prior decision that lock combinations should be changed at least yearly, and suggested that the combinations be changed at both the beginning and end of beach season. Kim noted that George Waters proposed opening Beach 3 gate on nice weekends, and she expressed concerns that doing so when the beaches are unstaffed would permit trespassing and allow outside boats access to the lake. Sally stated that she had not considered that leaving the gates open would allow outside boats to be brought in, possibly contaminating the lake, and therefore agrees with keeping gates locked during off-season.

SPECIAL EVENTS: Pat will work with Kevin on fireworks.

MEMBERSHIP: Diane reported that $300 was received for transfer fees in September but there was no activity in October.

IMPROVEMENTS: Regina discussed the gate situation at the beaches. Kim mentioned that the beach 3 gate has been left open at night. Warren suggested changing the lock combinations each year. Regina will discuss the matter with George Waters.

** ACTION ITEM ** Regina will discuss the issue of changing the gate combinations with George Waters.

The board voted to adjourn the meeting at 10:30 PM. The next meeting is December 14, 2011.

[end]


APPROVAL OF NOVEMBER 9, 2011 MINUTES

 

VOTE TO APPROVE: Yes_____________ No_______________

CERTIFICATION

I certify the foregoing is a true and accurate record of the minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Directors of Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) of November 9, 2011, and the Vote as to Approval of such minutes on December 14, 2011.

__________________________
Mary Alice Rowan, Secretary