MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

September 14, 2011

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:32 PM by President Warren Russell at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Warren Russell, Cindy Waters, Jim Kilbourne, Sally Determan, Betsy Washington, Regina Derzon, Eva Kosztarab, Kim Smith and Alice Rowan. Pat Payne, Diane Smalley, Mark Cavich and Steve Klein were not present. Improvements Chair George Waters and lake residents Elaine Lindstrom, Ann Cook and D'Wayne Gray were also present.

MINUTES: The minutes of July 13, 2011 were approved as presented.

COMMUNITY FORUM: Warren introduced D'Wayne Gray and Ann Cook to discuss organizing a "Lake Barcroft Village" program. This concept of "aging in place," which has piloted in other neighborhoods, provides neighborhood assistance to help older residents stay in their homes instead of having to move to retirement communities. Services provided are unique to each neighborhood, and may include volunteer and paid staff components. The "Village" would supplement, but not usurp any existing programs. A community meeting to discuss this concept will take place October 5 at 2 p.m. and again on October 18 at 7:30 p.m. at the Mason District station to determine interest. Ann has written an article which will appear in the upcoming newsletter. Warren thanked D'Wayne and Ann for their presentation and encouraged the Board to attend the meetings.

OLD BUSINESS

CALENDAR REVIEW: The calendar was reviewed. Betsy noted the Fall Watershed Festival will take place Saturday, October 22 from 8:45 a.m. to 12:00 noon.

ACTION ITEMS: Warren went over action items. Kim reported the security cameras are a "work in progress" and the security update will be deferred until next month. Eva reported that the insurance review is completed. Sally and Jim are preparing a form "no merit" letter. Eva discussed the encroachment issue at beach 3. She reported that trees did not appear to be leaning. Kim and Betsy recommended having an arborist look at the trees and take photos. Betsy recommended Barbara Neil, and will ask her about rates. Sally suggested sending the DeAngelis family a letter taking note of their encroachment.

** ACTION ITEM ** : Betsy will inquire about an arborist's services. **

WATER SAFETY: Kevin Hardy did not present a report.

COMMUNITY GARDEN RENOVATION PLAN: Betsy Washington advised the Board to be sure all County permits were in place before work proceeds on the Community Garden. George Waters discussed that a prior board had agreed to pond improvements for a cost not to exceed $35,000. However, improvements were not made for over a year after the Board had given its approval. George has made some improvements, including relocating the intake so that it is safely under the dock instead of in a submerged garbage can, as well as weeding, defining the lower pond and some safety measures. George has had some meetings with contractors concerning proposed improvements. One alternative is to use the existing boulders, purchase more large boulders, fill the deeper part of the pond with small rocks to limit depth, and build up the rear part of the pond to create a cascading feature. George presented a computer drawing of his idea and anticipates the cost to be around $4,000 to $6,000 for the boulders. He notes the pump house is fully operational. A lengthy discussion took place including such topics as alternative water features, gardens, and ways to limit liability including placing a "Keep Out" warning sign. It was noted the path, bridge and part of the land are owned by LBA, but WID owns a section of the land but has deferred management for many years to LBA. Cindy informed the Board that the motion for spending up to $35,000 for improvements was made in November 2009, and has a two year statutory limit. George volunteered to get three estimates for demolishing the pond, and others for replacing it with a series of cascading falls with shallow areas. He will report back by e-mail. Kim expressed the need for warranties. Regina will help obtain bids, at least three for demolishing the existing pond and three for designing a replacement cascading waterfalls, and will perhaps submit a grant application.

** ACTION ITEM ** George and Regina will obtain bids for proposed alternatives to the Community Garden pond.

LABOR DAY GAMES AFTER ACTION: Warren presented Pat's report. Labor Day games were a great success. In the future, more attention is needed on the Sand Castle competition. Pat believed more events were needed for different age groups, and a larger number of awards. Eva discussed the recent special events insurance policy. She learned shortly before the event that spectators, but not participants, were included in coverage. She contacted the insurance agent immediately and had a replacement policy issued to cover participants. The cost was $310 for a $25,000 liability policy with a $500 deductible. Eva suggested having participants sign waivers next year, and stated that she will seek another carrier.

** ACTION ITEM ** Eva and Steve will look for other insurance brokers and/or carriers for event liability coverage.

Thank you letters from the recipients of the 2011 Thurgood Marshall Fund were distributed to the Board.

 

NEW BUSINESS

NOMINATING COMMITTEE: Cindy asked incumbents if they plan on running again. Cindy asked for volunteers to serve on the nominating committee. Jim, Pat and Betsy are completing their first term and Kim is completing her second. Mark and Steve have reached their terms limits and are ineligible to run, and Alice is unable to run due to other commitments. This leaves three vacancies. The bylaws require three more candidates than there are vacancies, so six candidates are needed.

** ACTION ITEM ** Cindy will form a nominating committee. **

SWIMMERS/BOATS/SECURITY RULES REVIEW: Warren discussed the July 18 incident involving a barge and swimmers. Sally read the guidelines and recommended changing some rules. She recommended against having any rule that discourages cordial interactions between residents and others concerning the use of beach tags, as an alternative to calling the police. Cindy stated that boaters should not approach swimmers unless the swimmers appear to be in distress or call to the boat for assistance, and regulations should require lights on all boats at night. Sally proposed a rule that swimming or boating after dark is at one's own risk. She emphasized that it is impossible to enforce a "no swimming after dark" rule; however, the lighting rule can be enforced as to boats. Kim expressed her views on security and the incident. She discussed water safety issues and emphasized that swimming at night is dangerous. Warren emphasized that LBA protection extends only to those on the beach when guards are present. More communication and education is needed.

** ACTION ITEM ** Sally will review the boating and swimming rules. Eva will check insurance coverage with our agent. **

CIVIC AFFAIRS MEETING: Warren reviewed last year's agenda in preparation for the new agenda. Some political candidates will be present. Warren will give the committee report and Betsy will speak on the watershed day.

WATERSHED STEWARDSHIP: Betsy reported that the Fall Watershed Festival will take place on Saturday, October 22 from 8:45 a.m. to 12:00 noon at beach 5. Betsy thanked Elaine Lindstrom for all of her efforts with the tree replacement program, which, as in past years, is very popular and a great success.

GRANT PROPOSALS: Warren discussed grant proposal ideas. Brief discussion of installing disposable doggie bags throughout the community ensued. There was no consensus on applying for any new grants this year.

BUDGET 2012 PREPARATION: Warren asked the committees to submit their 2011 expenses and 2012 budget projections to Steve before the October meeting.

** ACTION ITEM ** Committee chairs are to submit their draft budget input to Steve.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

MAINTENANCE AND IMPROVEMENTS: George reported that the stairs on Lakeview Drive are completed, thanks to volunteers' labor. A side result has been improved drainage control in the area. Progress is being made on removing trees on common areas that were downed during the recent storms. George is working with Dominion Power to restore power at beach 5 and restring electric wires. The beach 3 path shunted water in the recent heavy rains to the end of the path where it undermined the sand beneath the new ramp going out onto the beach. Delfino will replace the sand and do other repairs if needed.

WATER SAFETY/BEACH MAINTENANCE: Sally had no significant matters to report.

ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW COMMITTEE: Jim gave his report. The Martinez matter was affirmed and nothing has been heard from the appellant. Seven plans were reviewed at their recent meeting and two complaints were received. One complaint concerned a pond installation on Lakeview at Dockser which allegedly caused damage to another property. The board discussed the issue of waterfront residents granting private easements or informal permission to non-waterfront residents for boat access to the lake. The board expressed concern that multiple pontoon boats in a small or restricted cove may create a "traffic jam" and block WID access. If the arrangement involved construction of a dock, ARC approval would be needed. Jim questioned whether the number of boats docked at waterfront properties should be limited.

LEGAL: Eva reported on the DeAngelis' claim for tree removal. On June 8, 2011 the insurance adjuster issued a denial, and closed the insurance claim file. The claimant has not pursued the matter. By-laws revision is continuing. A draft has been distributed to the Legal Committee and will be submitted shortly to the Board for approval.

PUBLICATIONS: Warren reported Mark is updating the website.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Betsy reported that the tree replacement program has been very successful. Forty trees have been given away to residents. $950 in donations has been received. Delfino will begin planting the trees next week. Betsy is working with WID on soil testing.

COMMUNITY WATCH: Kim reported that a suspect has been charged in connection with recent vehicle break-ins. The Community Watch program was instrumental in solving the matter. She reminded the Board that all neighborhood doors and windows should be locked to discourage theft and break-ins. Kim further reported that off-duty police patrol has ended for the season, and the patrol expenses are $2000- $2400 under budget. Some complaints have been received about trash generated at beach 3 after the Labor Day games. Ramon Garcia distributed two poems, and reported a vehicle accident on Waterway Drive. The Traffic Calming Committee is encouraged to send out their ballots.

TREASURER: Steve's written report was distributed.

MEMBERSHIP: Chris reported one transferred fee for $100 received in August.

OTHER BUSINESS

Sally reported that Robert Finley asked permission for the crew team to schedule a party at beach 4. This was approved.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:27 p.m. The next meeting is October 12, 2011.

[End]