MINUTES OF THE LAKE BARCROFT ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS

December 8, 2010

The meeting of the Lake Barcroft Association (LBA) was called to order at 7:33 PM by President Warren Russell at 6425 Lakeview Drive, Falls Church, Virginia. Those present were LBA Directors Warren Russell, Cindy Waters, Stuart Feldstein, Joel Gregorio, Steve Klein, Betsy Washington, Pat Payne, Mark Cavich, Eva Kosztarab, Kim Smith and Jim Kilbourne. Board members not present were Sally Determan and Rick Clayton. Joe Pelican, Madeleine Tawney and her attorney, John Altmiller, were present.

DUE PROCESS – ARC NON-COMPLIANCE: Mr. Altmiller asked the Board what constitutes a fence? He argued that stakes alone do not constitute a fence. Madeleine Tawney was asked why the stakes were there and her response was that they served as markers for future landscaping and that it had to do with a boundary dispute. They were asked when they were planning on doing the landscaping and Mrs. Tawney’s response was she didn’t know. After Mr. Altmiller, Ms. Tawney and Mr. Pelican departed, Joel Gregorio also left the board room. Discussion took place. Jim will prepare a letter.

A motion was made by Pat and seconded by Kim that we authorize the ARC to prepare a letter to the Tawneys. All in favor.

The minutes of November 10, 2010 were approved as amended.

CALENDAR REVIEW: The Board reviewed the calendar.

ACTION ITEMS: Reviewed.

WEBSITE PROGRESS REPORT: Mark gave an on-screen demonstration of the new website and online bill payment process using Pay Pal to the Board. Mark will have ads on the bottom of some of the website pages to generate income. He expects to launch the new website soon. The Board thanked Mark for all of his hard work.

2011 FINAL BUDGET APPROVAL: Steve discussed the third and last version of the 2011 budget.

A motion was made by Stuart and seconded by Joel to approve the 2011 budget as submitted. All in favor.

Warren thanked Board members for their assistance and Steve Klein for his many hours of work on the budget.

COMMUNITY GARDEN UPDATE: Joel distributed a task list and timeline for the community garden renovation. Pond refurbishing to be completed around mid-May.

TRAFFIC CALMING: Stuart said the traffic calming committee has submitted their recommendations to the county and they are waiting to hear back. Kim mentioned her frustration with the whole process and said she feels the task force has not represented the community. Betsy mentioned storm water management ideas for the traffic circles.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

PUBLICATIONS: Mark said ads will go on the bottom of the home page, contractor list and directory pages. The new newsletter editor will be Kim Willenson.

TREASURER’S REPORT: Steve reported the recent financial statement was in the packet and the 2010 budget was in good shape.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY: Betsy reported that the Tripps Run cleanup was successful with 40 volunteers. Betsy has been working with the county and Penny Gross and she will write an article in the next LBA newsletter article on our (LBA) agreement with the County to be able to perform routine maintenance in gardens and waterfront properties in the RPA that were maintained and built before the Chesapeake Bay Ordinances and amendments went into effect, such as weeding, pulling invasive vines, and pruning for routine maintenance. WID has agreed to match the $2,000 for the tree fund in 2011. Cindy mentioned we should ask residents not to dump their leaves in the median strip as it makes it difficult for the county to pick up.

IMPROVEMENTS: Joel is getting a cost estimate for wooden stairs on Lakeview’s median strip in two spots.

SECURITY: Kim presented her security analysis report for years 2008 through 2010.

MEMBERSHIP: Warren reported on past due homeowners dues status. He added that Rick will contact Chadwick about the list.

ARC: Jim mentioned that a lot that is for sale may be subdivided and asked about the membership fee. Four new applications have been received. The ARC is following up on previous submissions.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 PM.